During the Japanese rule period, Taiwan Sotokufu set up many language schools in all the major cities in Taiwan to teach Japanese. On April 12, 1898, the Dongshijou Branch of Taichung Language School was set up at the Taian Temple. This Dongshijou Branch School was formally upgraded to the Dongshijou Language School and moved to Temple of Lu Ban (venerated as the Patriarch of the Skilled Arts) in October of the same year. This School was renamed as the Dongshi Public School in 1921 and was added with new school buildings in 1938 and renamed as ""Dongshi Elementary School in 1941.
After the World War II, it was renamed as Dongshi First Elementary School in 1945 and then changed to Dongshi Elementary School in August 1968, when the nine-year national compulsory education started in Taiwan. During the Japanese rule period, the Japanese used to build up living quarters for school staff near the school. It was also true for Dongshi Public School (Dongshi Elementary School). It is estimated that the married quarters for the principal and teachers were built in 1921. All the dormitories were made of cypress as a main building material and built in a typical Japanese way, which reflects historical significance and is worthy of research, especially the well preserved living quarters of the principal.
This living-quarter complex is closely linked with the regional education development in Dongshi and serves as an important evidence to the local history of Dongshi. The former residents in the living-quarter complex proposed to demolish the buildings in 2010, but the Cultural Assets Review Commission rejected the proposal and decided to designate the complex as a historic building for preservation, instead.