Taiwan Provincial Consultative Council evolved gradually from Taiwan Provincial Legislature, Taiwan Provincial Interim Assembly, and Taiwan Provincial Assembly. Local autonomy is the cornerstone of democracy. To implement constitutional democracy and promote local autonomy in Taiwan during the early days after World War II, the government announced in December 1945 the ""Program to establish all levels of elected officials in Taiwan” and gradually set up all levels of representative councils at every town, city, and county. Then, 30 provincial legislators were indirectly elected on April 15, 1946 according to the “Ordinance Governing the Elections of Provincial Legislators” and the “Provincial Council’s Organization Ordinance”. Taiwan Provincial Legislature was formally established on Nanhai Road, Taipei, on May 1, 1946. The tenure of the 30 provincial legislators was two years and should expire and go for re-election in 1948, when the situation was very turbulent. Therefore, the central government extended their term until December 1951, when Taiwan finished re-zoning all its election constituencies.
After the closing of the Provincial Legislature, the Executive Yuan promulgated in September 1951 ""The Organizational Rules for Taiwan Provincial Interim Assembly” and “The Election and Recall Procedures for Taiwan Provincial Interim Assembly” and established the 1st Taiwan Provincial Interim Assembly in December of the same year. All the members of Interim Assembly were still indirectly elected for a term of 2 years from each county (city) assembly. Thereafter, the relevant laws and regulations were amended to allow the citizens to directly elect the members of Interim Assembly whose term of office was also extended from two years to three years. The 1st Taiwan Provincial Interim Assembly was extended for six months to match with the combined elections of the second-term mayors and magistrates. Thus, the 2nd Taiwan Provincial Interim Assembly was established on June 2, 1954 and the 3rd Taiwan Provincial Interim Assembly in June 1957.
As the Taiwan Provincial Interim Assembly was attached with the word ""interim"", which seemed to imply that the councilors were “temporary” and could not truly represent for public opinions, the Assembly was proposed to be upgraded by councilors and all walks of life. Accepting the suggestion, the central government issued an administrative order on June 24, 1959 to rename the 3rd Taiwan Provincial Assembly as the 1st Taiwan Provincial Assembly whose term of office still ended in June 1960, the same day as its predecessor. The Taiwan Provincial Assembly carried on its duty for 10 terms in 52 years until December 20, 1998, when it was abolished together with the provincial government. At the same time, the Taiwan Provincial Consultative Council was established on the same office building to take over the personnel, facilities, and equipment left behind by Taiwan Provincial Assembly. Reasons for nomination: (1) Historical, cultural and artistic value: This park has witnessed the development of democratic parliaments in Taiwan. Its Chamber was the cultural cradle of democracy in Taiwan. (2) Significance in construction history and value and potential for reuse: The Taiwan Provincial Assembly Building is an important building constructed during the early days after the World War II. It has been well preserved and managed. Its potential for reuse is very high (for research, teaching, exhibition and cultural activities). (3) Demonstration of construction technology and fashion of its own time: Revealing the sacred atmosphere of democracy, the Taiwan Provincial Assembly Building is majestic and solemn. Together with the beautiful garden landscaping, the entire region constitutes an independent and complete administrative park. It is also the most representative of architectural features in the early post-war period.